So, Praying for Boys released Tuesday...and would you like to know what I was doing all day? You might think I sat around all day basking in the joy of a completed project. You might think I took a hot bubble bath and soaked away the stresses of the last few months. You might even think I went out for a nice dinner to celebrate my big accomplishment.
You might think that, but you'd be wrong.
The truth is, my husband had knee surgery Tuesday morning. It was supposed to be a fairly simple surgery, but when they got in there they realized his ACL was also 95% torn. Now, instead of healing after what was supposed to be a pretty easy scope, we have to go back for a second surgery in 3-4 weeks...a surgery that will be much more invasive and cause him to be off of work for several months instead of several weeks.
How they missed that on the MRI I'll never know. But instead of rejoicing at some pretty cool Amazon standings, I sat in his hospital room and cried for him.
Now, lest you think the entire day was a bust, or that I'm not grateful, I want to point out the following ways the Lord met us on Tuesday, proving again that He's in the details and listens to the cries of His children:
- The hospital where we had the surgery is 45 minutes from our home. We had to take two cars, but could only get one car home. I asked and asked on Facebook for someone to help us move one of our cars from the hospital to my brother's house, nearby, with no answer. Literally, just as I was crying out, "God, please make a way!" a lifetime friend replied and asked how he could help. I sat there in tears over God's faithfulness in the small things.
- When I got to the hospital, it was -1 degrees. Good grief.
- A truly faithful friend brought over one of our very favorite meals, so I wouldn't have to cook that night. We "ooh'd" and "aah'd" with each bite. Glory to God. (A meal never tastes so good as when you didn't make it). We've had other offers for dinner since then.
- Unbeknownst to me, my friend Karen Ehman was praying for my book to make it into the top 1000 overall on Amazon. It made it into the top 500.
- Soon after we got home from the hospital, this arrived. Blew me away.
- And...I was just brought to my knees by the amazing community that surrounded Praying for Boys in the celebratory Twitter party that night. It reminded me why I love these boy moms so much, and left me a little weepy and amazed at the God we serve. He is so good.
So, yes...launch day was about as far from glamorous as you could possibly get. But God took care of us in spite of it, and we're going to be ok. Watch this Sara Groves video...it's where I'm living these days. Some other cool things to watch for? I'm over at Time-Warp Wife today talking about parenting in faith, not fear. AND, How to Control Your Emotions, So They Don't Control You: A Mom's Guide to Overcoming is on sale for just $1.99 this week (PDF only).